All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have many brand-new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor won't inform you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness this hyperlink is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of countless people all over the world.